16 March 2011

Scones Are Just Biscuits with Dried Things

On Saturday, Emily had a good friend in town that we spent a good part of the day doing stereotypical SF things with. Ferry Terminal for brunch, Dolores Park in the sun, Borderlands, seeing naked people (on bikes, not in the Castro). As we were walking to Dolores I had a craving for Tartine - and lo, it wasn't crowded. The line wasn't even out the door which I can (maybe) thank SXSW for. I got one of their scones; crispy on the outside, flaky on the outside. And then I decided I should make some.
Turns out, at least according to my bread book, that scones are just biscuits with fruit added. So I used the recipe I've used before for biscuits, with the addition of ~1 cup of assorted dried sweet things. Roughly 1/4 cup cranberry, 1/2 cup raisin, and 1/4 cup candied ginger. No additional sugar, which was a great idea. I did two things wrong but neither impacted the recipe much. I did one additional letter fold-and-roll (so 5 roll outs of the dough) - for scones, this didn't matter, but if you are cooking biscuits do not not not do that. It mostly god rid of the layering effect that was so prominent in the last batch.

I also maybe should have used a layer of parchment paper, or doubled my baking sheets. The bottoms were quite scorched due to how small I cut the scones and the heat of the oven. But the end result was still tasty - not quite at Tartine's level (I would need to add some large sugar crystals on top), but better than the dry scones you'll find at most places.

Also the recipe has almost as much dairy as flour. 1.75 cups of flour to 1.5 cups of dairy (1 cup heavy whipping cream, 1/2 cup butter). And I can't really say no to something that rich.

No comments:

Post a Comment